When it comes to diet and eating food when you are trying to build muscle and keep fit, beef is a great choice. It is high in protein and calorie dense, and it is also highly versatile. Just 3 ounces of lean beef contains 200 calories, and it contains only 24 grams of fat. However, today we will talk about Greek yogurt; it is a great snack for bodybuilders because it is packed with protein, which aids in muscle growth. It also keeps you feeling fuller for longer. But it is important to note that Greek yogurt can also be high in sugar and fat. Therefore, you need to read the labels carefully to ensure that you are getting only the best for your body.
Today we will cover the benefits of Greek yogurt and how you can make different snacks using it.
The amount of carbohydrates in Greek yogurt is nearly half the amount found in regular yogurt, making it a great option for those who are attempting to cut down on carbohydrates. It contains only about 6-7g per serving, whereas regular yogurt contains 13-17g per serving. Greek yogurt can be purchased in either flavoured or unflavoured varieties and is easily customized with homemade toppings.
It can help you keep a controlled appetite and make you feel fuller for longer. It will also boost your energy levels. The protein in Greek yogurt supports many different functions in the body. It helps the body build enzymes and fight diseases. Plus, because it's so high in protein, it can help curb overeating.
When choosing a Greek yogurt, it's important to find a brand with the highest quality ingredients. You want to choose one with live active cultures, as well as minimal sugar. Choose one that contains less than three strains. You can also choose one that contains no prebiotic oat fibre. However, be sure to check the labels. Some brands may contain questionable additives such as potassium sorbate, which may cause allergic reactions or digestive issues.
If you want to add a protein boost to your diet, you should consider incorporating Greek yogurt into your smoothies. The protein-boosted yogurt will taste like pudding, and you can pair it with a slice of fruit. You can also add a handful of nuts or berries to the yogurt to get extra calories. By adding Greek yogurt to your smoothie, you'll be able to hit your protein and carbohydrate macros.
We also have some recommended snacks for you to try:
Greek yogurt pancakes
This pancake recipe is simple, classic. It is easy to find its ingredients too! Before you browse the shops, check you cabinets because you will most probably have most of its ingredients! Here’s what you’ll need:
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- ¼teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup full fat Greek yogurt
- 1tablespoon maple syrup
- 2tablespoons neutral oil (vegetable or grapeseed)
*Add-ons: spoon of Greek yogurt, berries, maple syrup
- Use medium bowl and whisk together: whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and kosher salt.
- Use a separate bowl and whisk an egg, whisk in the milk, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, and oil.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. (If the batter is too thick, stir in another spoon of milk)
- Lightly oil a skillet and wipe off extra grease with a paper towel and heat the skillet to medium low heat.
- Pour the batter into small circles. Cook the pancakes until the bubbles pop on the top and the bottoms are golden and flip them and cook until done.
- Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve immediately with maple syrup
Greek Yogurt (Variation 1): Jim Stoppani's Yoked Greek Yogurt
This Greek yogurt recipe will provide some slow-digesting protein for your growing muscles and it taste great!
- 1 cup non fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp natural crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tsp honey
Mix all ingredients thoroughly and enjoy
Greek Yogurt (Variation 2): Greek Yogurt with Peanut Butter and Banana
- Greek yogurt (Non-fat)
- Peanut butter
Slice Banana, mix the ingredients and enjoy!
Protein yogurt bowl (Variation 1)
With 4 simple ingredients in 5 minutes you can make a healthy yogurt bowl. Packed with protein and healthy fats, and then topped with your favourite toppings for some carbs
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (Non-fat)
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
*Add-ons: granola, fruit, peanut butter, honey, cacao nibs, cinnamon
Add all ingredients to a bowl with the protein powder being at the bottom for easier and neater stirring. Mix well until combined and enjoy
Protein Yogurt bowl (Variation 2)
Simple tricks to turn boring yogurt into one of your favourite snacks of the day
- Handful of blueberries
- 150g Greek yogurt (non-fat)
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (Or any flavour you have available)
- Mix yogurt with protein powder in a bowl.
- Add blueberries (or any fruit) on top for added flavour and enjoy
You can make Protein blends just as easily as buy them. It will take you around 3minutes and in return you will have 434 calories, 24g of carbs, 40g of protein and 20g of fat.
- ½ cup Greek yogurt (non-fat plain)
- 1 scoop vanilla/chocolate whey protein powder
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 oz walnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp water
Combine Greek yogurt and protein powder in bowl. Begin mixing, and add water as necessary until a pudding-like consistency is achieved and enjoy.
*Add on: blueberries and walnuts.
Greek Yogurt & Chocolate Ice-Cream
What is better than having an ice-cream and feel healthy at the same time. This is an easy way to make an ice cream for dessert. The recipe is loaded with mono-saturated fatty acids that are good for health and accelerate the fat burning process in the body.
You can prepare this mixture and make an ice-cream that will give you 13g of protein, 17g of carbs and 9g of fat
- 1 container of Greek Yogurt (Non-fat)
- 1 Table spoon of peanut butter, smooth style (No salt)
- 1 Table spoon of Cocoa, Dry powder (unsweetened)
- 1 table spoon of Honey
- 1 tea spoon of spices (cinnamon, ground)
- use large hand blender jar and add: Greek yogurt, peanut butter, honey, cinnamon powder and cocoa powder.
- Mix all the ingredients using a blender on low speed.
- Scrap from the sides and mix again until the mixture is thick and fluffy.
- Add the mixture to the ice cream mould or container and freeze for 3-4 hours.
- Serve with fresh fruits or chocolate shavings.
Greek Yogurt Parfait
In just under 5 minutes you can treat yourself and someone else with a delicious and healthy Greek yogurt that has only 1g of fat, and it comes with 194 calories, 39 g of carbs and 7g of protein!
- 3 plain Greek yogurt (non fat)
- 2 table spoon honey
- ½ tea spoon lemon zest
- ½ cup blackberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- 4 tea spoon mint leaves
- ¼ cup granola
- ¼ cup 1" pieces frozen papayas
- Mix half of yogurt to honey and zest(with lemon juice) and chopped mint.
- Make mixture by adding to bowl of fruit to coat.
- In a glass, spoon in a layer of fruit, then a layer of plain yogurt, followed by a layer of fruit and yogurt mixture.
- Finish with granola and mint to garnish.
Mixed Fruits, Greek Yogurt Protein Smoothie
This smoothie is good to drink in the morning or even before or after your workout. It is great because gives the right amount of protein for the day ahead. This quick addition to your daily intake is full of protein and it has mixed fruit nutrients which also incorporates Greek yogurt.
- 1 cup of sliced apples
- ½ cup of peach (unsweetened and chopped)
- 1 cup of strawberries
- 1 container of Greek Yogurt
- 1 scoop of Vanilla protein powder
- 1 cup of milk
- Put the peach, apple, strawberries, Greek yogurt, milk and protein powder into the blender.
- Blend for 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
- Pour in a glass, drink and enjoy.